How to Get Perfect Lips
All the secrets on how to get perfect lips
Raise your hand if, while looking in the mirror as you applied lipstick, you ever wished you could figure out how to get perfect lips. Well, you can bet that my hand is up in the air! That’s right: just a few years back, I could only dream of having those seductive, kissable, amazing lips – the kind of lips that have ruled the world from Helen of Troy to today’s divas. After all, as the lovely Audrey Hepburn used to say, a smile is a woman’s most beautiful accessory…
But does it all seem out of your reach? Do you feel like simply correcting asymmetrical lips or retouching an irregular contour is an impossible task? Well, I’m about to show you that you couldn’t be more wrong. So get comfortable and take some notes: your monthly wish-list is about to stack up on lipsticks, liners and glosses. And get ready to throw your old beauty rituals out the window, I’m sure you won’t regret it!
A couple of my of girlfriends, both professional make-up artists, have shared a few tricks with me that have literally changed my life, making me much more confident and happier about the way I look. Now, I’m about to share them with you! So without further ado, here is my 5-step routine to red carpet-worthy lips.
How to get perfect lips in 5 easy steps
- For the very best results, I suggest you always start with the contour, using a lip liner with an opaque finish and a shade that’s as close as possible to your natural lip color. Be careful though: you’ll need to be extremely precise, or the results may be disastrous… In other words, it may take some practice to hone your contouring skills. Another crucial detail that cannot be neglected is the liner itself. I’m sure you’ve all stumbled into some super soft pencils, that leave you looking like a smeared-up mess, and others so hard you could use them to stab a vampire through the heart. The solution? Obviously enough, something in between.
Once you’ve found your perfect pencil, it’s time to get to work! Here’s a fun little trick to get you started: to figure out exactly where you need to intervene, put on a nice colorful lipstick and plant a kiss on a paper tissue. The resulting print will let you know whether your lips have any irregularities, and where the contour might need to be adjusted.
- OK, so now your lips have a truly impeccable contour and it’s time to reach for the lipstick… or is it? Not quite yet! When you’re aiming for “irresistible,” you’ll need to get a little more advanced. What I want you to do is add a touch of concealer around the mouth, maybe one that’s even a tad lighter than your natural complexion. This will serve to “clean” the area and really bring out the definition.
- And now we come to the crux of our quest: the ever-puzzling choice of lipstick. This, of course, is a vast and highly subjective matter. But you can’t go wrong with this simple rule of thumb: if you have naturally full lips and want to make them look thinner, opt for opaque lipsticks in dark or nude tones – the effect is surprisingly awesome. On the other hand, if your lips are thin and you want to make them look bigger, choose something with a lighter tone and a glossy effect. Personally, I prefer nude or opaque shades that offer a natural look: I feel positively gorgeous when I’m wearing them! But I’m really not a fan of red lipsticks… I’m not saying they won’t work on you, but for myself, I’d rather go for natural-looking lips.
- OK, but you want those bee-stung kissers that are all over social media… [I’m looking at you, Kylie Jenner!] Well, to get naturally full-looking lips, you could always try a good lip-plumping gloss. Thanks to their special thermoactive and vasodilating properties, these products will not only make your lips fuller, but also help keep them healthy, hydrated and shiny.
- One last trick the pros use to add volume consists in applying a layer of neutral powder, from just under your lower lip almost to the start of your chin. But don’t overdo it! This layer should be small and almost undetectably thin.
OK, done? Then I’m sure you look S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R.
So there you have it, how to get perfect lips without too much trouble. I really hope these simple tips turn out useful, and help you feel even more beautiful and more comfortable in your own… lips. And now, go get ’em, girls!